Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Thirsty Thursdays! -Week 1- The Grasshopper

                                                                  

The Grasshopper:

  • 1 part Green cream de menthe
  • 1 part white cream de menthe 
  • 1 part cream (I used whole whipping cream, because I was raised like that)
Shake ingredients and put into a chilled martini glass. 
Let me just start off by saying, I'M SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS! I recently turned 21, and I've been wanting to expand my horizons as far as drinks go.


I'm usually a beer drinker, but I'm wanting to TRY some fancy cocktail drinks that all those rich-lookin' ladies drink at the bar.




This week is THE GRASSHOPPER.


The reason I chose this drink for week one, is because it is what Raj drinks on Big Bang Theory (which is my favorite show of all time). I have never seen one in the bars, and I thought "hey, I love green, grasshopper it is."




My Review: It was VERY minty. I liked it and hated it all at the same time. 
It would be perfect with a chocolate bar or dessert of some kind. I personally would not order it at the bar, but if you really like minty creamy goodness with a kick, then this is the drink for you. My husband and I both didn't really enjoy it all that much. But again, it wasn't bad, just not for us. 











More information: (this info is from http://www.ask.com/wiki/Grasshopper_(cocktail) )

Variations

A "Vodka" or "Flying" Grasshopper substitutes vodka for fresh cream, while a "Brown Grasshopper" additionally contains coffee.
B "Frozen" Grasshopper additionally contains Mint Ice Cream to further its dessert qualities.
C "High" Grasshopper is a variant of the original Grasshopper, found mostly in Central and South American bars that differs from the original by adding "green dragon" to it, usually around 1/10 of the drink's total volume. It is considerably stronger than the original and illegal in most countries.
In the North Central US states, especially Wisconsin, Grasshoppers are blended drinks where ice cream is substituted for cream. Also known as a "Grasshopper milkshake," it contains Mint Chocolate Chip ice creammilk, and crème de menthe. This is blended and served in a tall glass decorated with a miniature or broken cream filled chocolate sandwich cookie.[2]



A grasshopper is a sweet, mint-flavored, after-dinner drink. The name of the drink is derived from its green color which is provided by the crème de menthe. The drink reputedly originated at Tujague's, a landmark bar in the French Quarter of New Orleans,Louisiana,[1] and gained popularity during the 1950s and 1960s throughout the American South.

No comments: