Saturday, September 10, 2011

Allow Me to Share the Education I Pay Lots of Money For: Week 1


I'm an Advertising major/Marketing minor at the University of Central Oklahoma. I'm going to share some relevant knowledge that I receive when I  pay $$ large amounts of money $$, 
for your own personal gain. 

This is a new series I’m going to be doing. I’m taking a class on digital and content marketing. We are required to write a post a week, so I’m going to try to make it relevant to my blog. 
What I hope is to receive feedback. 
I want to hear from you if you think that I strayed off topic or made a valid but somewhat stupid point. I would also love to hear if you found any of this helpful, or irrelevant.


We are reading “The New Rules of Marketing and PR” by David Meerman Scott. You can find this book on Amazon, HERE, or you can go and check out his blog, HERE.
The New Rules of Marketing and PR: How to Use News Releases, Blogs, Podcasting, Viral Marketing and Online Media to Reach Buyers Directly


This book is helpful because it covers a variety of different points on marketing an PR that are not just for large corporations.

Here’s why you should care and/or read this book:

1)   It’s relevant to us as consumers and potential business owners. If you are a blogger and expecting to make a business out of it, be it your content or even your Etsy shop, this is awesome knowledge. And I firmly suggest that you educate yourself on the current trends. Allow me to demonstrate it’s relevance:

           Some of you are bloggers. Congratulations, if you have a blog and you post anything on it, you are now in the category of web leaders. Your opinion matters! Marketers are out to find you! They love that you have an opinion and aren’t afraid to share it.

2)   On a larger scale, if you have a business this book can help you understand direct customer content as increased brand value.

a.     WHOA! Did I just get a little crazy with my lingo? Sorry, let me explain. Let’s say you have an Etsy shop. How do you find customers? Do you put an ad in your local paper? Probably not, you’re going to go to the blogosphere, allow people to get to know you and your product, and in the end they may or may not buy your cute handmade jewelry.
b.     Marketing yourself as a brand (which is what we’re all doing) is a vital part of your success. Finding the right people at the right time can get overwhelming. But, here’s the good news, if you understand and educate yourself on the whole marketing process, it’s going to be easy as pie to sell your goodies.


I will be continuing this thought process for next week’s post. Please drop me a line, if what I’m saying is relevant or irrelevant to you.

THANKS!

Sincerely,
Kylee 

No comments: