Saturday, October 22, 2011

Guest Post: Sarah from "Life on Walnut Street".



Hi everyone! I'm Sarah and I blog over at Life on Walnut Street


Snapshot of my life - recent camera phone pictures!


I'm so excited to be able to guest post today over here on Kylee's blog (don't you just love her!?) Most of the time my blog is filled with everything from crafts, to cooking. I'm a graphic designer, so I showcase projects that I am currently working on, DIY projects...all kinds of stuff, really. Today I'd like to talk about Faith, more specifically Christian Faith and Halloween and since my guest post was scheduled for the last week in October I thought it was pretty stinkin' good timing. 


Now, before I start I realize I'm defiantly in the minority on this issue, BUT we are not big fans of Halloween here in the Yoder house. I love fall but not to crazy for Halloween...pumpkins but not jack o'lanterns, you get the idea! A few gross big reasons are that I don't much care for these
or these...

 or these... in my house at any time of the year, 
even all dressed up as Halloween decor!

Okay, so...(just)maybe that was a little dramatic, (my apologies for anyone with serious phobias) but hang with me. October 31st is pretty nationally known as Halloween. Would you be surprised to learn that Halloween is now the most celebrated holiday of the year in our public schools (since Christmas and Easter are now BIG no-no’s).  

BUT did you ALSO know that October 31st is the anniversary date of the day that Martin Luther nailed his famous 95 Thesis  to the church doors in Germany in 1517. I am a Christian, have been since I was a little girl and I worked in full time Christian Ministry... I'll be honest that until a few years ago I had no idea what date the Reformation began! 


Okay, so don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you can't or shouldn't celebrate Halloween. I'm certainly not here to condemn if you do. I trick-or-treated as a kid and turned out okay (well, for the most part, okay!) What's my point to all this...Well, I'm glad you asked! It is simple. All American children know what day Halloween is celebrated on...but most (even the ones who attend Sunday School and Church) I'm sure have no idea what ELSE happened on this date in history. I just wanted to offer up a little something to really think about as we say goodbye to October and look, just around the corner, toward the Christmas Season...a little something to remind us of what is really important! 


If you are interested in more information about what it means to be a Christian you can look HERE or contact me at sarahlyoder@gmail.com

And for the record...most of my posts are not nearly this SERIOUS! I'd love for you to come by and visit me over at Life on Walnut Street sometime!

Thanks again to sweet Kylee for having me visit! 
Be Blessed, 
Sarah 


2 comments:

Sunshine Blossoms said...

Great post! We have fun taking our little guy trick-or-treating, but don't actually "celebrate" Halloween beyond that and we'll make sure he understands that when he's old enough!

Kndbbdjk said...

That's awesome! :) Plus, way cute collage of phone pictures!